Thursday 13 March 2014

Cappadocia



Arriving in Kayseri airport I was smack bang in the middle of Turkey. I was greeted by mountains dusted with snow and a vast countryside filled with fields. As we made our journey to our cave hotel in central Cappadocia, little rock peaks slowly started to appear and become more prominent.
To think that there are over 36 cities under the ground in Cappadocia is just mind-boggling. I was lucky enough to visit one of them; it was utterly amazing. The weaving tunnels were tight and small at times, but would then open up into a kitchen, or a church. I hit my head multiple times, and have now come to the conclusion that they were quite short in 200B.C.

On a bungalow situated on top of a flowing river is now officially the best place I have ever eaten lunch. It was a paradise! After, I climbed up towards the cliffs to see where the monks previously lived many, many years ago. There were Christian paintings in the caves created from natural paints (eggs, roots, pistachios), however the faces were all scratched out. 

The next morning I awoke at 3.30am to get ready for the much anticipated balloon ride across the fairy chimneys in Cappadocia. We arrived at the fields in the wee hours of the morning where it was frosty and cold. Jumping into the basket was a slight task as I stupidly was wearing a skirt. Heat was blasted into the hot air balloon and we had take off! The vast landscape stretched out beneath us and the 100's of other balloons floating across the rock formations just made it that much more phenomenal. The view was undeniably spectacular and I was at an all time high (literally).

The rest of the day was spend exploring places called imagination valley, and the fairy chimneys. I mean the names alone make them just sound magical. And that they were! This place was breathtaking! I could have spent all day climbing the rocks and scurrying in and out the volcanic peaks. 

















PENIS