Thursday 2 April 2015

PARIS Part Two



I was determined to start the morning off in a nutritious, and healthy way... jokes. Laduree was the first stop. Obviously. To be honest, last time I came to Paris I was by myself and made an ill-informed decision to get a pistachio-flavoured macaroon.
I couldn't even finish it because my tastebuds disapproved so strongly. But, as I was with a friend, she opted (very smartly) for a chocolate one. Now, being the open-minded person I was (a.k.a. never can say no to free food) I tried it. Oh my... I died and went to heaven. It was so scrumdiddlyumptious!  

Just a short stroll up the Champs-Élysées and we had hit the Arc de Triomphe. Well, not literally hit, because that would just be stupid and it would hurt... a lot. We circled around the roundabout, like a dog chasing its tail, searching for the underground by-pass that would get us to the Arc. After finding the secret passageway, we scurried up the never-ending spiral staircase. Well, technically it wasn't never-ending. 284 steps to be precise. When the wind wasn't whipping my ponytail in my eye, I soaked up the birds-eye view of the chaos beneath us. The sunlight peaked through the clouds in the far distance and shed light on selected parts of the apparently vast city.

The end of the day was fast approaching and we still needed to get to the Eiffel Tower to see it in the daylight. It was at this point where my friend pointed out a little rickshaw drawn by a man on a bike. We hopped on the tourist trap and proceeded full speed ahead for the Arc de Triomphe. It was at this point that I almost pooped my pants. I didn't want to be some casualty of this famous multi-late roundabout. Fortunately, we came out unscathed and alive in time to see the tower in all its glory.













One of the few photos we have together..